Sunday, July 24, 2011

Captain America: The First Avenger



Let me first say that when it comes to reading comic books, I am a DC fanboy. I collect primarily Batman titles and keep a good grasp on the rest of the "DC Universe." So why is it that of all the super hero movies of the last 10 years I have enjoyed the Marvel-Verse films greater?

Maybe they adapt to films better. Maybe I am not as critical of them as I am with the DC films. Regardless, Captain America: The First Avenger is a marvelous film.

For being as bored with the origin story in comic films as I am, this one managed to make it interesting. As an action film, its got some wonderful pieces and the pace was perfect. Casting was spot on and the fx were well funded. The patriotism of such and "american" character was dealt with evenly. Not overly in your face jingoistic, but portrayed a time when the group dynamic of our country was a bit more nobler. Chris Evans gave us a stoic and approachable Steve Rogers and Hayley Atwell delivered a breath of fresh air to the female character in the genre. She wasn't just eye candy, or the damsel in distress nor merely just the love interest. She was an equal. Director Joe Johnston (who proved he can handle the genre and the time period with The Rocketeer) created a wonderful film for fans of fun and entertaining cinema.

Some spoilery points of interest:

-A wonderful reference to Raiders of the Lost Ark
-Tommy Lee Jones steals every scene
-Stay after the credits for a nice set up for next years Avengers. I am probably going to have to break my Joss Whedon boycott
-Favorite Line: "I'm from Fresno, Ace."

No comments:

Post a Comment