Tuesday, February 10, 2009

MOVIE LIST: Top 98 movies* that I think everyone should see. Part 1

Today we begin a new series here at just another movie geek. The top 98 movies that I think everyone should see.

These films are merely some of my favorite films. Most of these won't appear on any major "top 100" movie list or anything. There is no rhyme no reason to them appearing on my list, but just films I feel offer a cinematic purpose to the greater cinematic world. Titles are listed in a rough alphabetic order with no one film taking greater importance than others.

1, 2 and 3:
A Better Tomorrow


Hard Boiled


The Killer


These three films (all directed by John Woo) represent to me the Heroic Bloodshed trilogy. Not only do these films cement Chow Yun Fat as an action powerhouse of asian cinema, they also breathed new life into the Hong Kong movie industry and led to Hollywood playing catch up for years. All three feature heavy violence, massive body counts and the infamous "bullet ballet." Not only are they great action films, they also have decent plots focusing on dedication and loyalty.

4. Big Trouble in Little China


John Carpenters greatest film. (other than EFNY and The Thing.) Kurt Russel gives a ham fisted (yet overly awesome performance) in this kung fu flick diving into the world of the Chinese Mafia in SF, Sorcery and chicks with Green eyes. This film is on my "must watch on a regular basis" list.

5, 6, 7, 8, 9.
These five represent to me Mel Brooks at his finest. When he actually made funny comedy that wasn't just dick and fart jokes* or recycling of old material. Each film stands on it's own as a great comedy, but as a whole they offer a unique perspective on the once genius of a great satirist. Endlessly quotable, these films can always make me laugh.

Blazing Saddles


The Producers


Young Frankenstein


History of the World part I


High Anxiety


*Yes I know he even had dick and fart jokes back then. But it wasn't ALL just that.

10.
The Blues Brothers


A perfect movie. There isn't much I can say about this film that hasn't been said already. What I can say is this was one of a small handfuls of films my parents educated me with at a young age that helped shape me into the movie geek I am today.


*Why 98 movies? Everyone does "top 100" movie lists. I have to be different.


Part two coming tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment